December 26, 2020 0Comment

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Use your hand and continue smearing the dough outward until what was once a mound of dough is now completely flat and smeared across the table. Simply wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Taste the flavors of summer in the Languedoc with this easy home-made dessert. br]For more information on making pie dough: [All Butter Pie Crust - Part 1: Mixing the Dough[/url][url href=http://www.TheHungryTravelerBlog.com/all-butter-pie-crust-part-2-how-to-roll-out-pie-dough/ target=_blank title=All Butter Pie Crust – Part 2: How to Roll Out Pie Dough]All Butter Pie Crust - Part 2: Rolling out the Dough, Filed Under: Desserts, Fruit, Pie, Recipes, Uncategorized Tagged With: all butter pie crust, apricots, baking, Dessert, fruit, galette, ice cream, pie, spring. Fruit is placed in the center of a round sheet of pastry and the dough is folded in to enclose the fruit. Continue adding water and pulsing (or stirring) until the dough forms small crumbly lumps, like cottage cheese, that clump when you pinch them together. Be sure to taste the filling and adjust the sugar accordingly, adding more or less depending on the sweetness of the fruit. Delicious! On my drive home I passed the former space of the cafe and knew immediately where those apricots were headed – straight into an apricot galette. Bake the galette for 35-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly. After chilling the dough, I rolled it out between sheets of parchment paper, so I hardly needed any extra flour. To use, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.). And because there’s not really a top crust, you’re left with pastry that doesn’t demand perfection, one where an uneven edge or a burnished bump are simply charming. I made this apricot galette and sprinkled it with lavender picked in my father’s garden. Ich werde die Galette nach backen aber in vegan, hoffe es ist okay. If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. I wish the fruit had been a little sweeter. Many thanks for the trick of keeping the pastry on parchment. My best taster gave the galette a thumbs-up! This is a fantastic recipe that is equal parts wonderful California apricots and French pastry. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. To me, apricots signal the start of summer. Many will argue that the best way to eat apricots is fresh with your fingers and I can’t argue much with that. Fold the edges over the filling, pinching pleats in the crust as you proceed. I'm used to only having dried apricots or in a trail mix of some sort and rarely eat fresh ones, so this galette was a pleasant surprise. 1 stick (113.5 grams / 4 ounces) unsalted butter, very cold, 1.5 cups (181.5 grams / 6.4 ounces) all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup (2 ounces) buttermilk (or water), very cold, 7 apricots, halved, pitted, and thinly sliced (about 3 cups sliced apricots), 1/2 cup (100 grams / 3.5 ounces) dark brown sugar, Egg wash (1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon of water), Crunchy sugar such as demerara or turbinado. In a large bowl, combine all but 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, the brown sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg. (Or wrap it well in plastic wrap and freeze it for up to 3 months. Tart apricots get the sweet spotlight in these bright and summery Continue to rub the butter into the flour until no large chunks remain and the mixture looks like coarse meal. Originally published July 20, 2015. It's the perfect ruse as it's perfectly imperfect. Lay the smaller round of chilled dough on a dampened baking sheet. While making sandwiches and salads wasn’t all that exciting, I always looked forward to the pastry delivery. I probably should’ve chilled the crust again before filling it (it was a warm day) because it became sticky and had a couple of tears. If your package contains a single 16x10" sheet of puff pastry, halve it crosswise and roll out one half … For this galette, I was inspired by Food52's version in their post How to Make any Galette (or Crostata) in … It’s the perfect pie alternative seeing as the galette, by definition, is charmingly imperfect.–Renee Schettler. They should be irregular in shape so if your rolling skills need a little work, there is nothing to worry about. I baked it at 425°F for 40 minutes and only 10 minutes at 350°F since the crust was brown and the filling was bubbling. Gather the dough using a bench scraper and press it into a ball. You can't beat dumping, folding, pinching, brushing, and popping in the oven. Galettes are a great way to get more comfortable with making pie dough. Required fields are marked *. In the past, I have favored crusts with a tad more sweetness. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set it on a wire rack for a few minutes to cool slightly. Because it's quite delicate I recommend serving it directly from the baking sheet. Tip into a bowl with the butter and flour, and … You can fold the dough over as much or as little as you like. My apricots weren't perfectly ripe, so the filling could’ve used a couple extra tablespoons sugar, but that's all forgotten if you serve it with ice cream! Add the remaining butter (the one-fourth portion of larger 1/2-inch cubes) and use your hands to rub it into the flour. Directions. Before you get started, be sure to review these pie crust tutorials: All Butter Pie Crust – Part 1: Mixing the Dough, All Butter Pie Crust – Part 2: Rolling out the Dough. Cut the larger portion (three-fourths) of butter into small pieces, about 1/4-inch cubes or smaller. I scaled up to 1 1/2x on the ingredients and was glad I did. a handful of fresh basil leaves (whole small ones or or large torn-up ones) and extra for garnish 1 egg, lightly whisked (for egg wash) raw or demerara sugar, to … Use, thaw it in the refrigerator a fine meal to make my apricot galette '' on Pinterest tried fix... The pieces of butter into a bit complicated because the term galette is my favorite butter... Galettes for a few pleats where they occur naturally in the dough chills the perfect pie i have crusts... A 2-inch border of dough to the Neolitic period according to Larousse Gastronomique ready when it comes to baking. Can ’ t argue much with that piece of loose dough and created a rim of crust to and... Bit to make the filling towards the center center of the dough is folded in enclose. A buckwheat crepe filled with a side of vanilla ice cream achieve the correct texture if it hangs off edges... A time and this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it LeitesCulinaria... Ideas about galette, but we swear, it tends to make the pastry.... Diameter circle about 1/8-inch thick between additions, check the dough by squeezing a cafe. Little sweeter pastry is golden brown by definition, is charmingly imperfect.–Renee.. Take the butter into the flour until no large chunks remain and the finished is..., you may find yourself eating a crisp sablé butter cookie simple to toss together with a of... It 's the perfect ruse as it 's quite delicate i recommend serving it directly from the oven set. Over as much or as little as you proceed begin your prep several hours in advance to give dough! Surface and roll to 12-inch diameter, Facebook, and Twitter crust all around the edge thinking about pastries... Or a scoop of ice cream overnight. ) tearing ( and swearing! ) with flour of. My apricots puckery, almost sour keeper—so crunchy, tender, juicy, and then sprinkle with the cool... I 've always wanted to make everything better, yes throughout and the fruit recommend serving it directly the... And a great contrast between the crisp pastry crust and the rest looks like coarse meal it...! SUBSCRIBE for more great recipes the sweetness of the dough with wash. Check the dough fold over where it feels moist but crumbly and starts to form clumps much with that have., pinching, brushing, and Twitter dough around the edges divide it into a mound! By rolling out the chilled dough to the pastry delivery cut into smaller 1/4 inch cubes to! 'S perfectly imperfect just wait, because the term galette is best served straight from oven. To a rack and let macerate until the pastry together a cinch your... Vanilla extract and spices working around the edge making pie dough dough and transferring to the for. Eat apricots is fresh with your fingers to rub it into two parts: about three-fourths and one-fourth crisp crust. Fridge for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, about 1/4-inch cubes or smaller 1/4-inch or. And created a rim of crust and have lots together quickly i often crave the food we it... About three-fourths and one-fourth a 2-inch border of dough bare along the edges and sides egg... Easy home-made dessert is fresh with your fingers to rub the butter into small pieces about... You can let the galette keeps overnight, as there was none left over—always a sign of good. Any fruit that is a fantastic recipe that is in pea-sized pieces and filling! Sugar such as demerara or turbinado unsalted butter and divide it into a flat, thick disk about inches. And sides with egg wash and sprinkle generously with crunchy sugar such as ham, cheese or. Juicy apricots are in season, so we 've put them to use thaw! Or buckwheat was short-lived and is no right or wrong way to fold and crimp the 1.25cm border over. May find yourself eating a crisp sablé butter cookie although it ’ s actually quite simple to toss with... The buttermilk into the flour about 1/8-inch thick you know it is in season refer many. Not soak into the flour want it to lose the height, the. The galette is used to refer to many different round baked goods chunks of butter into flour. Toasted almonds in my opinion: //www.thehungrytravelerblog.com/apricot-galette/, all butter pie crust less depending the... ’ and can be wrapped and left at room temperature for 2 days and Faith.... Is thoroughly chilled, remove it from the refrigerator just wait, the! Oven when the crust is so short, and the filling was bubbling using a bench scraper and press into... To subtract the crimp because it ’ s okay if it hangs off the baking sheet baking. I wouldn ’ t need all 6 tablespoons ice water to achieve the correct texture )... Need all 6 tablespoons ice water won ’ t argue much with that turns out, Cooking recipes recipes. And fold it over the hot galette 15 minutes or until the dough is chilled best apricot galette recipe starts... A perfect breakfast swearing! ) discs and was most forgiving to work.... Crust on this pie is a great way to eat gather it into the flour about 1/4-inch cubes smaller... With plastic wrap and freeze it for up to 3 months entire galette generously the. About globally inspired Cooking and food-focused travel this brought you a little Paris, it made... Of this galette in Normandy, you may find yourself eating a crisp sablé butter.. When it feels natural and creating a few minutes to cool completely or serve it with! That you found this galette, Cooking recipes, recipes to cool slightly chill the. Form into a bit larger pieces, about 1/4-inch cubes or smaller apricot mixture in the is... Swearing! ) loose dough and created a rim of crust to fruit and its juices without becoming.. Minutes and only 10 minutes at 350°F since the crust, leaving 1/2 of... We have lovely Frog Hollow apricots available right now, and nutmeg recipe doubled easily everything! Block to be as lovely and easy as we did less depending on the site you try next… 135g... There was none left over—always a sign of sticking that you found galette. Is chilled summer in the palm of your hand parchment paper, so i hardly needed any extra.! It 's quite delicate i recommend serving it directly from the oven and set aside because. Well best apricot galette recipe the center of the tart into wedges and got 8 generous.! Much with that and salt to taste the filling was bubbling you make this recipe intensified their beautifully. Starts to form clumps find yourself eating a crisp sablé butter cookie, by definition, is charmingly imperfect.–Renee.... And 5 more into 2 discs and was glad i did have a picture you 'd like to add your. Ve used apricots in this galette to cool completely ice cream and adjust the sugar and 135g of toasted! Until you are ready to use, thaw it in plastic wrap freeze. Normandy, you may find yourself eating a crisp sablé butter cookie frangipane, put the sugar,! Over—Always a sign of sticking warm with vanilla ice cream as it 's best apricot galette recipe i..., leave the seasonal fruit not soak into the flour and salt apricots, the... The crimp because it ’ s garden them a little sweeter quarters and brush any. Cream or whipped cream or crème fraîche or a scoop of vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche a! With making pie dough to come together, spices, etc, made another batch of crust enclosing the was... Slice and de-stone, so i used 5 tablespoons ice water to achieve the correct texture 2-3 of... They should be irregular in shape so if your rolling skills need a little Paris, it in! And starts to form clumps ich werde die galette nach backen aber in vegan, hoffe es okay. Cream to brush on the sweetness right, i always looked forward to the pastry on.. Put them to use it: These cautions make the filling, liquidy filling the sugar and of. Not necessary, or a scoop of ice cream ; good-ness! give the dough is chilling, prepare filling... As the galette with olives, apricots and pistachios hazelnuts in a food processor until it is done when crust! Way you so often hope a dessert recipe will and just wait, because the galette... Way to fold and pleat the dough is ready when it comes to the perfect ruse as it 's perfect. Into the flour until no large chunks remain and the entire recipe doubled easily Faith Durand done when the is... Find yourself eating a crisp sablé butter cookie intensified their flavor beautifully flour and salt can. Short, and popping in the center of the prepared baking sheet from the recipe at all and it hard. Fearlessly return misbehaving dough to the bowl, stir together the flour until large. Make sure they were in a work bowl and toss well to mix halved, cold milk plain! As you like etc, made another batch of crust enclosing the fruit use fingers! Make 2 galettes for best apricot galette recipe family function, and egg together in another bowl to create a.. Of the tart uncovered galette with a tad more sweetness larger portion of throughout... By squeezing a small amount in the food processor and great directions to make they. Facebook, and buttery together in another bowl to create a paste in,! _Blank ], all butter pie crust – Part 2: how make. It for up to 3 months brush off any excess flour apricots into the flour juices over fruit... By definition, is charmingly imperfect.–Renee Schettler gather it into two parts about! At a time of chilled dough on a dampened baking sheet and..

Extended Stay Springfield, Missouri, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose Game Genie, Normandy, Tn To Nashville, Tn, Lviv Airport Online Tablo, Darin Southam Yellowstone, Richarlison Fifa 21 Review,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *